Member of the Firm
Direct Dial: (423) 648-7851
Maury Nicely concentrates his practice in the areas of employment litigation, labor law, and general business litigation. He has addressed issues pertaining to all areas of labor and employment law in order to assist clients in preparing and maintaining employee records, making proactive decisions to prevent workplace issues from arising, and addressing formal complaints if and when they arise. He has represented clients in defending against a wide variety of lawsuits brought in both federal and state courts, claims for unemployment compensation, and complaints filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and corresponding state agencies. Maury has prepared contractual agreements and documents associated with a broad range of employment decisions, including employment contracts, separation agreements, non-competition and confidentiality agreements, and programs for alternative methods of dispute resolution (ADR) in the workplace. He has also drafted employment policies and procedures for a wide range of clients, from small start-up businesses to established, multinational employers.
Maury has also advised clients on a broad range of issues related to traditional labor law, including union organizing campaigns, the negotiation of collective bargaining agreements, the grievance and arbitration process, and claims filed with the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB).
Maury has also represented clients in a wide array of general business litigation matters, including complex business issues and class action cases, at both the trial and appellate level.
Maury has presented client seminars on a wide variety of topics, including workplace discrimination and harassment, the Family and Medical Act (FMLA), identity theft, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), workplace violence, employee relations, and the creation of employee handbooks and policies. He has also conducted in-house training for management employees on topics such as proper documentation, employee relations, conducting workplace investigations, and the implementation of appropriate workplace policies and practices.
In addition, Maury has provided guidance to various organizations on legal matters affecting charitable agencies, including non-profit bylaws, board governance issues, and other issues specifically affecting non-profit entities.
- Labor & Employment
- General Business Litigation
- J.D., cum laude, University of Georgia School of Law (1997)
- B.A., magna cum laude, Vanderbilt University (1993)
- Georgia State and Federal Courts
- Tennessee State and Federal Courts
- American Bar Association
- Chattanooga Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- State Bar of Georgia
- Tennessee Bar Association
Civic and Charitable Activities:
- Allied Arts of Greater Chattanooga, Board of Directors
- The Bright School, Board of Directors
- Chattanooga Arts and Education Council, Board of Directors, Past President
- Chattanooga History Center – Board of Directors, President
- Cornerstones (Chattanooga historic preservation organization), Board of Directors, Past President
- Trust for Public Land (Chattanooga), Leadership Council
- The McCallie School Alumni Council
- Vanderbilt University Alumni Chapter (Chattanooga), Past President
- Vanderbilt University Alumni Association, Board of Directors
- Author of Chattanooga Walking Tour & Historic Guide, a guidebook to the downtown Chattanooga area.