Christopher T. Varner
Member of the Firm
Direct Dial: (423) 648-7895
Chris is a civil litigation practitioner in state and federal courts. He has represented clients in complex business litigation and class actions, including representation of Fortune 500 companies. Chris has also prosecuted and defended products liability and premises liability cases, and he has defended insurers in declaratory judgment actions. Furthermore, Chris has significant experience in defending professional liability actions. Moreover, Chris has litigated a wide variety of cases involving real estate matters, including road access, easements and title disputes. Chris has represented and advised clients involved in highly sensitive matters, some of which were the subject of intense public scrutiny. In addition to his trial work, Chris has argued before the Tennessee Court of Appeals, the Tennessee Supreme Court, and the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Chris is also a member of the C.J.A. Panel for the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee and has represented clients in criminal matters in both state and federal court.
Separate and apart from his litigation work, Chris is also regularly consulted by corporate clients on a variety of matters, including corporate governance, contemplated transactions, such as asset purchases and sales, and related documents, leases, and franchise and distribution issues.
In 2009 and 2010, Chris was identified as a "Rising Star" by Mid-South Super Lawyers, and was named a Super Lawyer for 2017 for Business Litigation.
- General Business Litigation
- Insurance Defense
- Real Estate Litigation
- J.D., University of Cincinnati College of Law (1996)
- B.A., University of Tennessee at Chattanooga (1993)
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- Chattanooga Bar Association (Board of Governors, 2006-07)
- Tennessee Bar Association (Representative to Tennessee Judicial Conference's Bench-Bar Relations Committee 2001-08 (Chair, 2006-07); Ethics & Professional Responsibility Committee, 2009- ; Leadership Law (Class of 2005; Steering Committee, 2007-12 (Co-Chair, 2011-12); Board of Governors, 2008-; Mentoring Task Force, 2012-13 (Chair); Mentoring Committee, 2013-2015 (Chair); President’s Award (June 2013))
- American Bar Association
- Lookout Mountain Bar Association
- Georgia Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association (Chattanooga Chapter Board of Governors, 2008-2013 ; Treasurer, 2009-10; President-Elect, 2011; President, 2012; Immediate Past President, 2013)
- Justices Brock & Cooper American Inn of Court (2001-2011)
- Attorney Admissions Committee for the Eastern District of Tennessee, Southern Division (2008-2014)
Community Legal Service:
- Pro bono volunteer-Legal Aid of East Tennessee (Commendation, 2006; Annual Campaign for Justice Leadership Committee, 2004, 2006)
- Chattanooga Parking Authority - Hearing Officer (2012-)
- Normal Park Museum Magnet - Education Advocacy Chair (2012-2017)
- Chattanooga Room in the Inn – Board of Directors (2013 - 2015) (Chair, July 2013 – December 2014)